Skip to main content

Jewish-Christian Wedding during Ramadan




My husband and I attended a gorgeous wedding at the Franklin Plaza (pictured above) in Troy on September 4th, 2009. The couple, I had never met before, but have never felt so graciously welcome, not even at my own wedding.

When I had gotten the Save the Date for the wedding on March 28, 2009, I had remarked how this would be my first Russian Jewish wedding. And indeed, it was in many ways, a "first" for me. It was the first time I had witnessed a Jewish-anything, let alone a wedding. I learned about various traditions within the Jewish terms and tradition: the CHUPPAH, as well as Ketubah, the Sheva Brachot (the Seven Blessing), and the Breaking of the Glass. All these traditions were explained beautifully in an elegant handout for guests. The rabbi and priest who ordained the ceremony gave talks that were relevant to us, the only Muslim couple in the audience. The priest remarked how in America, according to an Is There Hope for the American Marriage?">article from Time Magazine, Americans have a difficult time with (1) keeping their commitments and (2) making sacrifices. I found this, for the most part relevant to many couples.

I loved that within the Catholic tradition, we remembered those who had passed away from both sides of the family, those who were oppressed in the world, those who you were sick and poor. I found this incredibly moving, because God instructs us to remember His blessings, to enumerate the blessings we're given through prayer. I was surprised to learn that the Jewish couple also sign a KETUBAH, a contract, that was originally written between the groom and the father of the bride. At my own wedding, my father, two witnesses, and I signed my wedding contract. In the Muslim tradition, the contract is a binding legal document whereas in the Jewish tradition it is more a symbol, a reflection of "their love for each other, their commitment to each other, and their hopes for the future." Below is the handout explaining the various rituals and details of the ceremony.

I loved the poem that shared the story of how the couple met and fell in love; the vows they exchanged, and also how the priest and rabbi welcomed participation in songs from the audience. It was not a show simply for the entertainment of the guests but something that the bride and groom actively participated in. I found it incredible.

After the reception, and at dinner, there were elements of what would be considered classic of Russian weddings---the generous proportions of caviar, the smoked fish, and 5 bottles of vodka, and liquor decorating each table. The bride had placed us at a table of young couples, mostly lawyers and their wives, none of whom drank! I was surprised that no one at our table was drinking, mostly because expecting moms, and long-distance driving prevented them from imbibing. I was impressed that the bride had so thoughtfully put us at such a table. In fact, several people at our table discussed their travels abroad--India--and we felt right at ease.

Overall, the experience was lovely and I learned a great deal about Jewish Russian culture. I feel as if I should write a couple a thank you card for their generosity and warmth in sharing their special day with us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malcolm Gladwell. "Getting In: The Social Logic of Ivy Leage Admissions" http://www.gladwell.com/2005/2005_10_10_a_admissions.html Major themes: 1. Passion is a significant contributor to success. 2. High intelligence means little without discipline and passion. "Bowen and Shulman write about the characteristics that make athletes more coveted by Ivy League schools: One of these characteristics can be thought of as drive--a strong desire to succeed and unswerving determination to reach a goal, whether it be winning the next game or closing a sale. Similarly, athletes tend to be more energetic than the average person, which translates into an ability to work hard over long periods of time--to meet, for example, the workload demands placed on young people by an investment bank in the throes of analyzing a transaction. In addition, athletes are more likely than others to be highly competitive, gregarious and confident of their ability to work well in groups (on teams). I

Why Not Friendship (Revised)- Repost

It is difficult to be merely a friend to a boy who seems more suitable as a husband than a friend. To reduce a potential life partner to a friend is immature and selfish. Friendship is the not the greatest type of relationship, but it is the safest. Friendship allows you to be intimate without the messiness of other things, like physical attraction, etc. Between friends, there is a warm permanence, a fuzziness that can be called appreciation and gratitude. There is also comfort and trust. Friendship is great if only for the possibility that one can know the beauty of another human being. The possibility of that is worth the difficulty of all else. But sometimes friendship is not enough. Sometimes, to reduce someone to friend when he should be much more is an affront to the opportunity God has presented before you. It is like saying to him, I know that we are amazing together, but we should be friends because I am a dumbass. To reduce him to friend also precludes the possibility of love