Skip to main content

Finding the Path Less Traveled

Reading the stories of leaders who embraced their individuality is important for defining my own path. I've been trying to learn more about career paths, reading about the paths and blogs and tweets of others in industries I am most interested in. I am trying to prioritize my day and life around the values that matter most to me, but mostly my interests center around my persona and material needs. This seems problematic, given that this is the month of fasting and increasing rewards with God. Yet, I am slightly disconnected from God. Some days, tarawee is much more intense than other days. Some mornings are much more productive than others. I think focusing on the present, on the dhuniyah, makes me a consummate fool. Yet, I feel like I need moments of foolishness to get anywhere. I am capable, intelligent, and talented, but without meaningful correspondences and work--what is there to reflect this state? There is no reason why more of my energy is not spent developing relationships, working on the highest aspirations. I feel almost stuck in a mental moment. Its what someone described as "potential" energy instead of "kinetic." I am convincing myself that this writing is a means for both, but really, it's not. Reading, too, without opportunities to discuss or dissect feels like potential energies wasted, like an useless accumulation of interesting fact and figures.

I am reading 2 books today: RoadTrip Nation and The Monk and the Riddle. From these books, I hope to glean some wisdom on the next steps for me.

In an interview with Howard Schultz, the Chairman of Starbucks, I was struck by his upbringing in an immigrant Jewish family. His mother told him from an early age that he could do anything in America. The immigrant upbringing may very well predispose individuals to entrepreneurship, by exposing us to parents who have started enterprises on their own, with no capital of their own, but the determination to success. I think from reading many of the interviews in this book, I understand that is is okay not to know what to do, but its important to take steps in the direction you want to go. It is important to assess what are the things you value, and go for those things--even if its a list of 5 different things. I always knew in my heart that I would try to do something myself. "Most entrepreneurs benefit greatly by working in an environment where they can see how a company works, where they can see processes and how decisions get made and can get training that builds a foundation. Entrepreneurs who try to do too much too early can have trouble attaining the kind of success that would be more assured if they had more experience." (139) Schultz describes how in 1987, when his wife was pregnant with their first child, he was trying to raise equity for the business. He talked to 240 people and 99% said no. He recommends that we "have the courage to dream bid. Don't allow anyone to tell you or convince you that your dreams can't come true. So much of building a successful business is about taking the road less traveled and having a core group of people believing when so many others don't. I don't think you can be successful on your own without an unbridled love and enthusiasm for doing something you really, really love.

So ask yourself, what are your dreams? What would you do for free? The difference between success and failure is this gray line between will, passion and self belief--I'm going to do this. (141)

Deferring what is important until it is too late--this habit of "deferring" delaying/ procrastinating is what ultimately vexes me. How can I realistically engage my passion before its too late? The immediate answer for me is SCHOOL. But school is not an end in and of itself. School is a means to a larger goal; it is a piece of the larger vision for myself. What is the lasting value that I want to create? Another woman asks, "Where an I be part of a place or a group of people who believe they can change the world every day?" (184)

I know that business is a really powerful medium for change in society. Business is a tool, just as philanthropy is a tool. You don't need an ultimate goal, says Randy Komisar, author of The Monk and The Riddle. A lot of people we celebrate as highly successful didnt have an ultimate goals. So when people look like they have these nicely laid out lives, the reason that it happened is something they figured out in retrospect. The path is never linear going forward, only in retrospect.

I have been writing on and off in this blog for the past 4 years, and it is difficult to believe the incredible people I have met through my writing. I am confident today that no one reads this blog, and yet, I still feel the urge to tailor my writing for an imagined audience. This blog gives me a place to store and share my thoughts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malcolm Gladwell. "Getting In: The Social Logic of Ivy Leage Admissions" http://www.gladwell.com/2005/2005_10_10_a_admissions.html Major themes: 1. Passion is a significant contributor to success. 2. High intelligence means little without discipline and passion. "Bowen and Shulman write about the characteristics that make athletes more coveted by Ivy League schools: One of these characteristics can be thought of as drive--a strong desire to succeed and unswerving determination to reach a goal, whether it be winning the next game or closing a sale. Similarly, athletes tend to be more energetic than the average person, which translates into an ability to work hard over long periods of time--to meet, for example, the workload demands placed on young people by an investment bank in the throes of analyzing a transaction. In addition, athletes are more likely than others to be highly competitive, gregarious and confident of their ability to work well in groups (on teams). I

Why Not Friendship (Revised)- Repost

It is difficult to be merely a friend to a boy who seems more suitable as a husband than a friend. To reduce a potential life partner to a friend is immature and selfish. Friendship is the not the greatest type of relationship, but it is the safest. Friendship allows you to be intimate without the messiness of other things, like physical attraction, etc. Between friends, there is a warm permanence, a fuzziness that can be called appreciation and gratitude. There is also comfort and trust. Friendship is great if only for the possibility that one can know the beauty of another human being. The possibility of that is worth the difficulty of all else. But sometimes friendship is not enough. Sometimes, to reduce someone to friend when he should be much more is an affront to the opportunity God has presented before you. It is like saying to him, I know that we are amazing together, but we should be friends because I am a dumbass. To reduce him to friend also precludes the possibility of love