Skip to main content

Camping

Bismillah.

It occurred to me after the last post that I wasn't sure how to post again to Sadia's Blog. Thus, the delay in my second post. It's much harder than people tell me, this blogging thing.

Today I will be making my 2 hour train odyssey to Flatbush, Brooklyn to a place called Ecology Village, located in Floyd Bennett Field. I am being specific because I can't guarantee that I'll be coming back. There are never any guarantees in existence. This I say because, as I've already given away in the title of this post, I will be going CAMPING. First time. Stars. Nature. Dog Ticks. Cutter spray. Cooking my own food. And oh yeah, sharing a tent with 3 other individuals. No internet, no Dish TV, no civilized niceties. My goal during this adventure is to experience something like Pirsig did in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, a book that inspires me to know machines with as much diligence as I like to read theory about Nature. I would like also to remember God in His magnificent creation when I am sleeping under stars, with poison ivy surrounding my campsite and trailmix in my pocket. In truth, I am a coward, afraid of pain and suffering and the difficult. But I have an inclination to know what I don't need to know. Like camping.

As I sat on the Uptown B Express (from Sheepshead Bay) to Manhattan, with my legs crossed because I had drunk too much water and coffee during my 6 hour camp safety training, my mind began fantasizing. My fantasies, for the most part, are crude and unwomanly for I see things I would never dare to see in reality. Or at least, these fantasies are unconventional for any woman to think about intensely for 1.5 hours (or even admit to doing). I will be as vague as possible because our most troubling selves appear in the dreams, and untold stories we keep hidden in ourselves. I too will keep my stuff hidden. There will be a time when we will be accountable for the dirty creativity of our minds, but I'd rather have that revelation come from outside my nonexistent readership.

Today, I spent the 1.5 hours in a delirious fantasy land of my brain. It was troubling on a rational level, but thoroughly enjoyable to have my mind ran amok on a more base, i-really-have-take-a-piss-level. This constant clash between what feels good, and what is good troubles me. I love making normative claims about reality, about what ought to be the case, yet I fail to consider descriptive claims of how reality actually operates. I often disregard my intuitive feelings about people, ideas or things as invalid because the feelings cannot be explained by way of reason some times. The disconnect in my brain between normative and descriptive mean that when I am conscious of both, I am conflicted. For example, to fantasize explicitly about the body is a normal, psychological fact. Yet, the socialized, learned idea that such thoughts warrant punishment is equally valid, though also guilt-inducing. Because I am conscious of the clash between fact and feeling, I am conflicted.

Work and classes ended this week and the camping trip marks the beginning of another transition in my personal growth and seasonal development. I may come back with more than itches and smelly clothes. I may come back a more experienced, young woman.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malcolm Gladwell. "Getting In: The Social Logic of Ivy Leage Admissions" http://www.gladwell.com/2005/2005_10_10_a_admissions.html Major themes: 1. Passion is a significant contributor to success. 2. High intelligence means little without discipline and passion. "Bowen and Shulman write about the characteristics that make athletes more coveted by Ivy League schools: One of these characteristics can be thought of as drive--a strong desire to succeed and unswerving determination to reach a goal, whether it be winning the next game or closing a sale. Similarly, athletes tend to be more energetic than the average person, which translates into an ability to work hard over long periods of time--to meet, for example, the workload demands placed on young people by an investment bank in the throes of analyzing a transaction. In addition, athletes are more likely than others to be highly competitive, gregarious and confident of their ability to work well in groups (on teams). I

Why Not Friendship (Revised)- Repost

It is difficult to be merely a friend to a boy who seems more suitable as a husband than a friend. To reduce a potential life partner to a friend is immature and selfish. Friendship is the not the greatest type of relationship, but it is the safest. Friendship allows you to be intimate without the messiness of other things, like physical attraction, etc. Between friends, there is a warm permanence, a fuzziness that can be called appreciation and gratitude. There is also comfort and trust. Friendship is great if only for the possibility that one can know the beauty of another human being. The possibility of that is worth the difficulty of all else. But sometimes friendship is not enough. Sometimes, to reduce someone to friend when he should be much more is an affront to the opportunity God has presented before you. It is like saying to him, I know that we are amazing together, but we should be friends because I am a dumbass. To reduce him to friend also precludes the possibility of love