Skip to main content

Update

"Sometimes in life, the (limited) choices we have are blessings in disguise." -a friend

I applied to one business school-Stern- and didn't get in. I appreciate the wisdom of the admissions office. I feel I am destined to learn business somehow, to be involved in something so long as I keep my eyes and ears open, and start learning practical skills. I must enroll in an accounting class. I really loved when my father showed me his software program. I liked how you can input numbers into a program, and the computer can help you make sense of those numbers. It is elegant. My father not only empowers people in the community with his accounting service (literally helps people get money from the government), he also advises and consults new businesses and nonprofits. He has over 3000 clients that he handles from all over the continental US. He does this as his solo practice.

I marvel at my father and his entrepreneurial spirit. He was motivated by the dollar. He left the world he knew for uncertainty, no language skills, no money to his name. He left everything in Bangladesh to pursue the dollars in America, to make it here, and he did just that.

What concerns me is how much my parents worry that I won't make it. The decisions I make now are going to influence my ability to work later. I must never give up on my ability to earn. I have the potential to do so much more, but it's important for me to remain positive, and to achieve the best. I want to make a difference but I need a sustainable lifestyle so I can help others out. It doesn't make sense for me to help others when I can't even help myself to a new car.

I'm still waiting to hear back from schools. I did not apply to too many grad schools because I did not want to burden myself with the fees associated with applications if I knew that I could not attend the schools. I am happy to remain in New Jersey and commute where ever I must go.

There is a lot to accomplish before I can start graduate school. I need to get myself and my home in order; I need to finish writing my novel; I need to run another Remembering Forward program here in 3 weeks! I need to recruit students; get insurance money from the flood damage in my basement; meet 10 new people and network my heart out! I need to apply for full time jobs, and make sure I find something so I can afford to attend graduate school in the Fall. I need a lifestyle shift that allows me to fulfill my duties to my family, to my Creator, and to my self. There is much to do, and so little time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malcolm Gladwell. "Getting In: The Social Logic of Ivy Leage Admissions" http://www.gladwell.com/2005/2005_10_10_a_admissions.html Major themes: 1. Passion is a significant contributor to success. 2. High intelligence means little without discipline and passion. "Bowen and Shulman write about the characteristics that make athletes more coveted by Ivy League schools: One of these characteristics can be thought of as drive--a strong desire to succeed and unswerving determination to reach a goal, whether it be winning the next game or closing a sale. Similarly, athletes tend to be more energetic than the average person, which translates into an ability to work hard over long periods of time--to meet, for example, the workload demands placed on young people by an investment bank in the throes of analyzing a transaction. In addition, athletes are more likely than others to be highly competitive, gregarious and confident of their ability to work well in groups (on teams). I

Why Not Friendship (Revised)- Repost

It is difficult to be merely a friend to a boy who seems more suitable as a husband than a friend. To reduce a potential life partner to a friend is immature and selfish. Friendship is the not the greatest type of relationship, but it is the safest. Friendship allows you to be intimate without the messiness of other things, like physical attraction, etc. Between friends, there is a warm permanence, a fuzziness that can be called appreciation and gratitude. There is also comfort and trust. Friendship is great if only for the possibility that one can know the beauty of another human being. The possibility of that is worth the difficulty of all else. But sometimes friendship is not enough. Sometimes, to reduce someone to friend when he should be much more is an affront to the opportunity God has presented before you. It is like saying to him, I know that we are amazing together, but we should be friends because I am a dumbass. To reduce him to friend also precludes the possibility of love