Skip to main content

Last Night

Last night, my husband and I attended the UPenn MSA Alumni banquet, where we saw some friends that we have grown with over the past 6 years. I remember the first banquet dinner I attended in 2007, when Mohamed and I had gotten back from hajj. As the wife of the alumnus, I felt strange to be there simply as a "wife." There were a few wives I met at that first banquet, and many MANY weddings I have attended since then (maybe 8 Upenn weddings). I witnessed the pool of banquet attendees gradually increase from 30 to 40 to 60, as people got married and started their families.

 The only markers of that time that has passed is the children. Once you get married, there really is no other progress to indicate the health of a relationship other than a child--and perhaps the fact that you are still married. It is quite a strange deliverable and marker, but I believe this is the marker set by my particular community. After 6 years, I am at times still struggling in this role of "wife." Of course my other roles as "friend" and "daughter" and "sister" have expanded and changed in many capacities. Even my role as "employee" has expanded, given my increasing ability to be a better follower. I feel like I have tried to be there for people, to be there when things fall apart and a game plan is needed. I feel that I am decisive when it counts, in matters of the heart, I am a huge risk taker and successful in my choice. Yet, this role of "wife" seems increasingly unintelligible. How do I even know I'm good at this? Will I get better? Why does it feel like I still suck after 6 years?

On an entirely different note, my husband and I have seen friends get married and grow their families. It is a blessing to see our friend's children, and to know that we will experience snapshots of their lives, in birthdays, graduation parties, and even weddings. I pray that I am alive to experience these moments in my friends' children's lives.  As Kate Bolick summarizes, "Let's Hear it For Aunthood." Why not, right? I should maximize on this role and time in my life.

 I mentioned to one alumnus, who had recently traveled to 28 countries, about the importance of documenting his travels through a blog--even if no one reads the blog. "You never know," I told him. "I got to know my husband through my blog," I continued. The importance of a written repository when our memories fails seems like a good practice. I believe to this day, he is probably the only one to read this so-called blog that gets updated maybe once or twice a year. It's worth it, however, to know that this exists as a place for me to remember how our relationship started, and changed, or didn't change. Last night, in Philadelphia, I felt grateful to remember. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Not Friendship (Revised)- Repost

It is difficult to be merely a friend to a boy who seems more suitable as a husband than a friend. To reduce a potential life partner to a friend is immature and selfish. Friendship is the not the greatest type of relationship, but it is the safest. Friendship allows you to be intimate without the messiness of other things, like physical attraction, etc. Between friends, there is a warm permanence, a fuzziness that can be called appreciation and gratitude. There is also comfort and trust. Friendship is great if only for the possibility that one can know the beauty of another human being. The possibility of that is worth the difficulty of all else. But sometimes friendship is not enough. Sometimes, to reduce someone to friend when he should be much more is an affront to the opportunity God has presented before you. It is like saying to him, I know that we are amazing together, but we should be friends because I am a dumbass. To reduce him to friend also precludes the possibility of love
Malcolm Gladwell. "Getting In: The Social Logic of Ivy Leage Admissions" http://www.gladwell.com/2005/2005_10_10_a_admissions.html Major themes: 1. Passion is a significant contributor to success. 2. High intelligence means little without discipline and passion. "Bowen and Shulman write about the characteristics that make athletes more coveted by Ivy League schools: One of these characteristics can be thought of as drive--a strong desire to succeed and unswerving determination to reach a goal, whether it be winning the next game or closing a sale. Similarly, athletes tend to be more energetic than the average person, which translates into an ability to work hard over long periods of time--to meet, for example, the workload demands placed on young people by an investment bank in the throes of analyzing a transaction. In addition, athletes are more likely than others to be highly competitive, gregarious and confident of their ability to work well in groups (on teams). I