Skip to main content

Please tell me about you, Blogger.


Given the changes to Blogger, a service I have used on and off for the past 7 years, I have decided to start with an introduction. 

My name is Sadia. I am a Project Manager at a nonprofit consulting organization in New York City. We provide capacity building expertise and strategic consulting in 3 major areas: resource development, governance and special events. I am responsible for tracking outcomes, program support, marketing and communications, and new business development. 

 I have extensive marketing, program support and monitoring experience in the nonprofit and private sectors. I've basically grown up within the nurturing spaces of NYC nonprofits like South Asian Youth Action, where I served a Board member, and Sadie Nash Leadership Project, which helps NYC youth become life-long learners and leaders.  My greatest achievement was starting Remembering Forward, an intergenerational community arts program for diverse young women (ages 14-22) and senior women (ages 60-90).  This project was funded by SNLP's extraordinary ELLA Fellowship program. As part of program outreach, I persuaded, organized and motivated others to support and volunteer for this initiative. I created a project plan, engaged internal and external stakeholders, and facilitated weekly meetings with a group of 14 participants. In 2010, I increased enrollment by 80% and secured additional funding for this independent program. I used an entrepreneurial approach, found resources within the community, and took the initiative to start a new type of community program. I met seniors and youth in my local town, and gave youth an opportunity to lead and serve. Most of all, this project helped me to connect to people outside of my family and relatives... which at the time in my life, was difficult to do. 

At the Cricket Island Foundation (CIF), a family foundation that supports youth-led social change programming nationally, I offered my communications expertise to supporting website redesign, and media communications. This was my first time working with national nonprofits. 

In the private sector, I applied social media tools to the development of a start-up family restaurant businesses. I engaged with customers and applied a customer service ethic to promoting the first Italian-Indian restaurant in our community in New Jersey.  This customer service ethic is fundamental because it prepares me to work with clients, to prepare marketing and intake and evaluation with clients. Between my two families, we have 4 small businesses. I am as passionate about entrepreneurship, and the ability to business to transform people's lives, as I am about the nonprofit industry. 

In 2011, I earned a Master of Science degree in Nonprofit Leadership from the University of Pennsylvania.   My graduate coursework at UPenn included business strategy, group dynamics, transformational reasoning and managerial decision-making will allow me to facilitate conversations with various stakeholders. I did a leadership practicum at Philadelphia Youth Network, a large (50+employees) intermediary that supports youth workforce development. I shadowed an incredible mentor and leader, the Vice-President of Business Partnerships. Among the many things she taught me, "Leave your ego at the door, and let your mission and work step forward." I believe this is at the heart of mission-driven organizations. Its about the work, and making incremental changes in the world. 

I am dedicated to applying my management, communication, and analytical skills to furthering the mission of strengthening community-based organizations in New York City. If you want to learn more about me, just follow me on Twitter.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Not Friendship (Revised)- Repost

It is difficult to be merely a friend to a boy who seems more suitable as a husband than a friend. To reduce a potential life partner to a friend is immature and selfish. Friendship is the not the greatest type of relationship, but it is the safest. Friendship allows you to be intimate without the messiness of other things, like physical attraction, etc. Between friends, there is a warm permanence, a fuzziness that can be called appreciation and gratitude. There is also comfort and trust. Friendship is great if only for the possibility that one can know the beauty of another human being. The possibility of that is worth the difficulty of all else. But sometimes friendship is not enough. Sometimes, to reduce someone to friend when he should be much more is an affront to the opportunity God has presented before you. It is like saying to him, I know that we are amazing together, but we should be friends because I am a dumbass. To reduce him to friend also precludes the possibility of love
Malcolm Gladwell. "Getting In: The Social Logic of Ivy Leage Admissions" http://www.gladwell.com/2005/2005_10_10_a_admissions.html Major themes: 1. Passion is a significant contributor to success. 2. High intelligence means little without discipline and passion. "Bowen and Shulman write about the characteristics that make athletes more coveted by Ivy League schools: One of these characteristics can be thought of as drive--a strong desire to succeed and unswerving determination to reach a goal, whether it be winning the next game or closing a sale. Similarly, athletes tend to be more energetic than the average person, which translates into an ability to work hard over long periods of time--to meet, for example, the workload demands placed on young people by an investment bank in the throes of analyzing a transaction. In addition, athletes are more likely than others to be highly competitive, gregarious and confident of their ability to work well in groups (on teams). I