Skip to main content

Professional Development

It's hard to believe that I have spent so much of my last days of Ramadan in a resume/coverletter stupor. A film now covers my eyes, and I suppose my heart too. I see only PT or FT, paid or unpaid, internship, search agents, and opportunities as catch phrases to my day. I have sent out 10 applications in total over the past week, but feel I am still lagging behind on follow-ups.

Looking for a part-time job is no joke, my friend.

I guess I always thought it would be. I imagined I would be a youth coordinator at SAYA! after I graduated, but now I guess I am designing my own intergenerational program in New Jersey. I have a lot of homework and research to do on my project actually. I want to get in touch with some possible mentors and that, too, seems difficult with all the pending work that lies before me. The mountain of applications is subsiding, but i am going to look into other opportunities for professional growth. Internships are simply one avenue.

This Ramadan has been the best one of my life. It is the first time in my life I am not working in a traditional office/school setting. I am in charge of my day, and chose to structure time according to salaat as much as possible as opposed to that arbitrary lunch that has been deemed so important in American culture. I have listened to Islamic CD's, have listened and read Quran every day alhamdullilah, have prepared iftaar for my family, have gone to tarawee often, have kept my home relatively clean and orderly, and have established a study/work schedule of sorts. I have avoided the usual time suckers that keep me from accomplishing anything: TV and NPR. I am accountable for my time to God alone.

I have reestablished ties with friends. I love them, but have struggled to keep those ties strong. But I think that once someone enters your heart, she remains there for as long as you have a memory.

I have forgotten how to write. How to well, anyway. I am working on reading now. Trying to improve my reading speed and comprehension by reading, learning words, writing flashcards. Oh the usual stuff I used to love in high school.

I am slowing returning to normal. Domesticity has a place but cannot be the excuse for laziness.

I've missed you, my reader. Welcome back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Not Friendship (Revised)- Repost

It is difficult to be merely a friend to a boy who seems more suitable as a husband than a friend. To reduce a potential life partner to a friend is immature and selfish. Friendship is the not the greatest type of relationship, but it is the safest. Friendship allows you to be intimate without the messiness of other things, like physical attraction, etc. Between friends, there is a warm permanence, a fuzziness that can be called appreciation and gratitude. There is also comfort and trust. Friendship is great if only for the possibility that one can know the beauty of another human being. The possibility of that is worth the difficulty of all else. But sometimes friendship is not enough. Sometimes, to reduce someone to friend when he should be much more is an affront to the opportunity God has presented before you. It is like saying to him, I know that we are amazing together, but we should be friends because I am a dumbass. To reduce him to friend also precludes the possibility of love
Malcolm Gladwell. "Getting In: The Social Logic of Ivy Leage Admissions" http://www.gladwell.com/2005/2005_10_10_a_admissions.html Major themes: 1. Passion is a significant contributor to success. 2. High intelligence means little without discipline and passion. "Bowen and Shulman write about the characteristics that make athletes more coveted by Ivy League schools: One of these characteristics can be thought of as drive--a strong desire to succeed and unswerving determination to reach a goal, whether it be winning the next game or closing a sale. Similarly, athletes tend to be more energetic than the average person, which translates into an ability to work hard over long periods of time--to meet, for example, the workload demands placed on young people by an investment bank in the throes of analyzing a transaction. In addition, athletes are more likely than others to be highly competitive, gregarious and confident of their ability to work well in groups (on teams). I