Skip to main content

Glory

Today I threw away a piece of paper I had been carrying in my wallet, for 2 weeks now. I had kept this business card for a long time. I had felt its letters, the thickness of the quality paper on which was printed a name, a phone number, a title. I had kept the card for a long time and today I threw it away.

I felt relieved to throw away the card. Why keep something you don't need? My wallet is overflowing with receipts, papers, (sadly not cash), but still, the coins I carry make my wallet heavy. This card made me heavy. I felt good to let it go.

Why hold onto something you don't need? If it was a job that brought you displeasure, that consumed your public life, then why endure? There are no children to feed, no bills to pay. It is only a useless enterprise for things you cannot take with you when you die. Sometimes it is good to be let go of.. Sometimes, however, it is much easier to hold on to scraps and pieces of something, even when you know it is not the same, not what you wanted. You are happy with something rather than nothing. But how can nothing be better than something? It is easier to pretend and convince yourself that that is what you want, but the mind lies. The heart is not so clever.

I felt intense sadness like I have never felt before. I had cried at the loss of my best friend, but this pain that came last Saturday, the last day of February, was like wailing, an overpowering sadness, loss, and disappointment. A sense of finality had come. The unease, the separation was so great that I called no one. My husband held me as I cried.

The following day was glorious. I felt free. I felt a clarity. I obsessed over the details, found something with which to preoccupy my mind but what is prominent remains so for a reason. I did homework. I went out. I read. I wrote. I worked on my project. I did many things. I cleaned. I cooked. I was alive for the first time in months with responsibility, with a sense of duty and purpose. I loved the feeling of freedom.

At moments when I remembered the past I began to cry, easily because of the happiness I thought I knew. Sadness to the finality of it. I explained to my mother and she said, Why did you say goodbye? There is no reason to say goodbye. So then I wrote, and rewrote, and rewrote my letters. These letters are in many different notebooks, in different handwritings, some typed, some scrawled. These pages I hope to keep with me. There are other pages I hope to keep but never to reread.

I do not want to push away what is best for me. I want to bring what is good and pure closer to me, and keep at a distance from what is not good. I feel that my mother, my parents, my husband pray for the best for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Not Friendship (Revised)- Repost

It is difficult to be merely a friend to a boy who seems more suitable as a husband than a friend. To reduce a potential life partner to a friend is immature and selfish. Friendship is the not the greatest type of relationship, but it is the safest. Friendship allows you to be intimate without the messiness of other things, like physical attraction, etc. Between friends, there is a warm permanence, a fuzziness that can be called appreciation and gratitude. There is also comfort and trust. Friendship is great if only for the possibility that one can know the beauty of another human being. The possibility of that is worth the difficulty of all else. But sometimes friendship is not enough. Sometimes, to reduce someone to friend when he should be much more is an affront to the opportunity God has presented before you. It is like saying to him, I know that we are amazing together, but we should be friends because I am a dumbass. To reduce him to friend also precludes the possibility of love
Malcolm Gladwell. "Getting In: The Social Logic of Ivy Leage Admissions" http://www.gladwell.com/2005/2005_10_10_a_admissions.html Major themes: 1. Passion is a significant contributor to success. 2. High intelligence means little without discipline and passion. "Bowen and Shulman write about the characteristics that make athletes more coveted by Ivy League schools: One of these characteristics can be thought of as drive--a strong desire to succeed and unswerving determination to reach a goal, whether it be winning the next game or closing a sale. Similarly, athletes tend to be more energetic than the average person, which translates into an ability to work hard over long periods of time--to meet, for example, the workload demands placed on young people by an investment bank in the throes of analyzing a transaction. In addition, athletes are more likely than others to be highly competitive, gregarious and confident of their ability to work well in groups (on teams). I