Skip to main content

Friday Night

Last night I went to a going away party for my fake Uncle Amit. He has been on the Executive Board of Directors for SAYA! (www.saya.org) for a good six years. His contributions to the Board are mixed. As an investment banker, he has access to a pool of wealthy folk. As a Kashmiri-Indian of sorts, he has shared some of his thoughts on riba, alcohol, outsourcing, religion over the years. He is a character to be sure. But neither his contributions nor his ideas are arguably good...

We celebrated him at Opia, on 57th and Lex. But by celebrated, I really mean individuals drank until they were more sociable. I was fascinated by my male colleagues who lucidly explained why they were flirting with the unattractive, and visiably old bartender. They were successful men, a mix of businessmen and lawyers who needed to be holding glasses of alcohol in order to hold conversation. My theory about alcohol as a social lubriant was confirmed and even openly discussed by fellow open-bar mates. When men noticed that I didn't have a glass in my hand, they were quick to offer to buy me my virgin shirley temples and sodas. I drank a lot of nonalcoholic liquid.

What is interesting is really how senseless this sort of socializing is.

On the drive back to Queens, Annetta praised me as a natural flirt. I'd rather think of myself as a good conversationalist, but she insisted that this was a gift. She said that her ability to flirt has been the reason she's gotten as far as she has. This is questionable because she is extremely talented in her own right. She says flirting only enhances what women have. Flirting has nothing to do with sexuality. It is one's natural ability to hold conversation with strangers. I'd like to think of it as charisma.

While it is true that I held conversations with probably every man in the group without fail [except Mani] (topics ranging from federal drug laws on cocaine and crystal-meth versus weed, interstate commerce, education as a career, law schools and financial aid, books and authors, Muslim identity, the merits of smoking versus drinking (or visa versa), rims, Micheal Vicks, private side of markets and equities, flirting, Amit's broken promise to pay for my college education, etc), there were certainly some men that I preferred to others. When the guys became distracted by the bartender, I consented to drinking my virgin mojito and simply observing.

What I found most troubling was my talking to one 28-year-old, not unattractive hedgefund British-Indian named Donn. I was on the topic of his Arabic first name (Raahim) when he admitted he had a Muslim upbringing. He said that he could recite surah Fatiha but in recent years, had picked up drinking (and apparently picking up women), and had ceased to observe fasting during Ramadhan. In fact, he probably had a coke and rum (rum in coke?) as he talked to me. What bothered me most was that he declared he would be my older brother, a bhaijan figure, yet there he was hitting ont the bartender-lady.

These were men in their late 20s, early 30s--yet they behaved just as college guys would, I imagine. Boys don't change. Amit offered me his drinks, his cigarettes as a typical uncle would not. But I remembered the word integrity at these moments. I don't believe in altering my behaviors to accomodate others. This is probably why my friends leave me.

I did collect some business cards.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Not Friendship (Revised)- Repost

It is difficult to be merely a friend to a boy who seems more suitable as a husband than a friend. To reduce a potential life partner to a friend is immature and selfish. Friendship is the not the greatest type of relationship, but it is the safest. Friendship allows you to be intimate without the messiness of other things, like physical attraction, etc. Between friends, there is a warm permanence, a fuzziness that can be called appreciation and gratitude. There is also comfort and trust. Friendship is great if only for the possibility that one can know the beauty of another human being. The possibility of that is worth the difficulty of all else. But sometimes friendship is not enough. Sometimes, to reduce someone to friend when he should be much more is an affront to the opportunity God has presented before you. It is like saying to him, I know that we are amazing together, but we should be friends because I am a dumbass. To reduce him to friend also precludes the possibility of love
Malcolm Gladwell. "Getting In: The Social Logic of Ivy Leage Admissions" http://www.gladwell.com/2005/2005_10_10_a_admissions.html Major themes: 1. Passion is a significant contributor to success. 2. High intelligence means little without discipline and passion. "Bowen and Shulman write about the characteristics that make athletes more coveted by Ivy League schools: One of these characteristics can be thought of as drive--a strong desire to succeed and unswerving determination to reach a goal, whether it be winning the next game or closing a sale. Similarly, athletes tend to be more energetic than the average person, which translates into an ability to work hard over long periods of time--to meet, for example, the workload demands placed on young people by an investment bank in the throes of analyzing a transaction. In addition, athletes are more likely than others to be highly competitive, gregarious and confident of their ability to work well in groups (on teams). I

Re: Your Inquiries

"You confuse yourselves with your actions, even with your thoughts. You barely understand that in order to be, it should not be necessary to act, and that the world changes you far more than you change it." (Malraux, The Temptation of the West, 1961 ) The world consists of wonderful people who enter and exit your life. When you let them enter, your breaths seem more thoughtful, your behaviors more scrutinized, your ideas challenged, and sometimes your brain orgasms from happiness. But when these individuals leave, you experience equally significant things like confusion and hurt. It seems okay to let someone in, someone trustworthy, good, honest, and not concern yourself with the end. As things exist in your mind, there is no harm. Intellectual promiscuity, then, is not so bad. To have intimate, intelligent conversations into the morning is not troubling, either. Sometimes when good people enter, it is not necessary to act, or specifically to resist. When people enter, their